Saturday, April 12, 2014
- Join us on Saturday, April 12, 2014 for our 2nd Annual OFF THE WALL Climbing Competition! All skill levels are welcome!
- There are three divisions: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. To ensure that the top three finishers in all three adult divisions are accurately represented, all competitors will be placed into blind divisions.
- There are two categories for each division: Male & Female.
- All entrants are required to sign a liability waiver to climb our wall. If you are under 18 years of age, a parent/guardian must also sign. Waivers will be given to entrants upon arrival.
- The competition is open to all: students and non-students alike! No minimum or maximum age.
- Registration On or before Friday March 28: $20 for UW System Students $25 for non UW System Students
- Registration between Friday, March 28 – Friday, April 11 $25 for UW System Students $30 for non UW System Students
- Those registered on or before Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 will receive a free t-shirt. T-shirts are not guaranteed for those who register after April 1st, 2014
- Waiver (complete and bring with)
OFF THE WALL climbing competition will be held at the UW-Eau Claire Climbing Wall located within the McPhee Physical Center at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in Eau Claire, WI. A campus map may be found at: http://www.uwec.edu/Maps/maps.htm
Schedule of Events:
|| Competition Rules and Updates
|| Preliminary Competition
|| Finals Competition (Top 3 finishers in intermediate and advanced divisions only)
|| Awards & Prizes
Competition Format and Rules
- There will be routes set specifically for the competition for each division. The number of routes per division will be based on the climbing ability of the competition entrants
- Each climber is given a score card
- All belaying will be done by staff members. Belayer’s will be judging each climb and must sign the score card for a climb to be valid
- A card showing the climb information will be posted next to each route
- Climbers may climb as many routes as they wish, however only the best 4 climbs on the score card will count towards your final score
- This competition is open-format. Open-format means that climbers may climb whenever they are ready.They must finish all of their climbs within the time allotted
- Climber must start and end routes on holds marked with a “V”
- Climber must have weight on and be in control* of the final holds to complete the route. *Control: means climber must have the final hold weighted before releasing. No slapping allowed. A demo of this concept will be provided at the comp.
- For starts, climber must show control on starting holds before moving to the next holds. For sit starts (indicated on the route’s label), climber must start by sitting on the ground.No pushing off the ground with hands or feet. Once the climber has completely left the ground, the climber’s attempt has begun.
- Climber must only use holds that are designated for that route. Everything else is off limits.Accidentally touching a hold not on your route with your hands or feet is only tolerated if it does not assist in the progress of the climb. This rule is enforced at the belayer’s discretion. All natural holds are on except when specifically stated for a route. All bolt holes are off.
- The climber will be lowered upon falling. The climber then has the option to try the route again immediately or at a later time. The climber may not climb a route more than 2 consecutive times unless there is no one else waiting to climb that rope. The climber may attempt a route as many times as desired.
- If a hold spins or moves while you are climbing a route, you will have the option to be lowered and given another chance to climb it without being penalized.
- Neither verbal nor nonverbal help may be given to climbers on the wall from anyone on the ground.
- No loose chalk in the gym. All chalk must be in a chalk ball and kept in a chalk bag.
- The finals competition will use a different format than the preliminary competition
- The top 3 finishers in intermediate and advanced divisions will participate
- Separate routes will be used for the finals competition
- In the event of a tie, preliminary competition point totals will be added to the finals point totals.The climbers will be then ranked with the new point totals.
Awards and Prizes:
- Prizes will be given to the top 3 finishers in each division.
- All entrants will receive one prize drawing ticket upon check-in. Prizes will be drawn during the award ceremony.
- OFF THE WALL is part of the Wisconsin Indoor Climbing Series (WICS)! Check out the WICS tabs for more information.
- Showers and locker rooms are available for all entrants
- Free snacks will be available thanks to our sponsors
- Hotel accommodation may be available for Saturday night. Please contact us if you are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity.