- Join us on Saturday, April 7th, 2018 for our 17th Annual ROCKFEST Climbing Competition! All skill levels are welcome!
- Participants may register online or in person. Pre-registration is highly encouraged!
- The registration fee is $30 for UW and U of M students and $35 for community, t-shirts may be purchased for $5.
- This year’s theme is to be determined. There are three divisions: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. To ensure that the top three finishers in all three adult divisions are accurately represented, all competitors will be placed into blind divisions.
- There are two categories for each division: Male and Female
- All entrants are required to sign a liability waiver to climb our wall. If you are under 18 years of age, a parent/guardian must also sign. Waivers will be given to entrants upon arrival.
- The competition is open to all: students and non-students alike! No minimum or maximum age.
RockFest will be held at the Stout Adventures Climbing Wall located within the Sports & Fitness Center at the University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menomonie, WI. Address: 220 13th Avenue E, Menomonie WI 54751. A campus map may be found at: http://www.uwstout.edu/guide/. The climbing wall is located at the south end of the Sports and Fitness Center.
Schedule of Events
To be announced
- This competition is open-format. Open-format means that climbers may climb whenever they are ready. They must finish all of their climbs within the time allotted.
- Scoring will be based off of a Flash/red point format.
- There will be routes set specifically for the competition for each division. The number of routes per division will be based on the climbing ability of the competition entrants.
- The Art Wall will have taped routes and the West coast wall will be all Monochromatic routes. Monochromatic means the climber will be following a set of holds that are a single color.
- Each climber is given a score card at registration
- All belaying will be done by staff members. Belayer’s will be judging each climb and must sign the score card for a climb to be valid
- A “Route Card” showing the climb information will be posted next to each route.
- ROCKFEST is part of the Wisconsin Indoor Climbing Series (WICS). Check out the WICS tabs for more information!
- Showers and locker rooms are available for all entrants.
- Light snacks will be provided thanks to our sponsors.
Any other questions, comments, or concerns can be directed toward Stout Adventures Coordinator, Houston Taylor. 715-232-5315 or email@example.com
Climber must start and end routes on holds marked with a "V."
Climber must have weight on and be in control* of the final holds to complete the route. *Control: means climber must have the final hold weighted before releasing. No slapping allowed. A demo of this concept will be provided at the comp.
For starts, climber must show control on starting holds before moving to the next holds. For sit starts (indicated on the route's label), climber must start by sitting on the ground. No pushing off the ground with hands or feet. Once the climber has completely left the ground, the climber's attempt has begun.
Climber must only use holds that are designated for that route. Everything else is off limits.Accidentally touching a hold not on your route with your hands or feet is only tolerated if it does not assist in the progress of the climb. This rule is enforced at the belayer's discretion. All natural holds are on except when specifically stated for a route. All bolt holes are off.
The climber will be lowered upon falling. The climber then has the option to try the route again immediately or at a later time. The climber may not climb a route more than 2 consecutive times unless there is no one else waiting to climb that rope. The climber may attempt a route as many times as desired.
If a hold spins or moves while you are climbing a route, you will have the option to be lowered and given another chance to climb it without being penalized.
Neither verbal nor nonverbal help may be given to climbers on the wall from anyone on the ground.
No loose chalk in the gym. All chalk must be in a chalk ball and kept in a chalk bag..
The finals competition will use a different format than the preliminary competition.
The top 3 finishers in intermediate and advanced divisions will participate.
Separate routes will be used for the finals competition.
In the event of a tie, preliminary competition point totals will be added to the finals point totals.The climbers will be then ranked with the new point totals.
Awards and Prizes
ROCKFEST is part of the Wisconsin Indoor Climbing Series (WICS)! Check out the WICS tabs for more information.
Showers and locker rooms are available for all entrants.
Free snacks will be available thanks to our sponsors.
Hotel accommodation may be available for Saturday night. Please contact us if you are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity.
“I've attended ROCKFEST three different times.I'm always very impressed by how organized and professionally run this comp is.The environment is very positive and encouraging for climbers of all levels.”